Before 1999, asbestos which is a combined set of natural silicate minerals was widely used in construction materials and building homes. The Asbestos (Prohibitions) (Amendment) Regulations 1999 banned the amosite and crocidolite type of asbestos because of its hazardous qualities.
Exposure to asbestos can cause some serious health ailments like mesothelioma and more of the likes. Homeowners may not even realise that they have asbestos lurking in the walls of their homes. While remodelling homes Asbestos-containing Materials (ACMs) fibres can get released in the air causing health problems to homeowners.
While it is a really profitable material for the construction business because it has fire, heat, electricity and chemical resistance qualities, but scientists have discovered that they can turn airborne and cause some serious ailments.
Check for Asbestos While Remodelling Your Home
Your house may have been constructed with material that contained asbestos. It can be found in insulation, drywall, material like tiles, cement, duct, plaster, construction glue etc.
While remodelling or renovating your home, you could release the asbestos fibres in the air, which would then get inhaled by you and your family members, causing some serious health ailments.
Already constructed homes, where the asbestos is not disturbed, are not as dangerous and do not cause much harm. However, when they are disturbed, like in the case of remodelling a home where walls and roofs may be renovated, that’s when the asbestos gets released in the air and causes harm.
If you prefer doing your home remodelling and renovations on your own, then here are some things you should definitely keep in mind to ensure minimum to zero asbestos exposure.
- You should understand that the harmful effects of an asbestos exposure do not show signs until many years later. Asbestos doesn’t harm at immediate exposure but it definitely has its effects some years later. So you should definitely take precautionary measures to ensure that you do not get affected by asbestos.
- Before breaking down any walls or remodelling your kitchen tiles, it’s always best to get your home inspected by professionals for the presence and extent of asbestos. There are professional companies that can perform an asbestos survey in Bristol for your home before you get it remodelled. They can also remove the asbestos from your homes which would make it a much safer place for you and your family.
- Do not attempt to remove asbestos on your own, you might just end up releasing the harmful fibres in the air and inhaling huge quantities of it.
- While working around the house, do not use tools that might agitate the dust and spread the asbestos. Activities like drilling, sawing, sanding etc. might cause exposure to asbestos. So, avoid any such home remodelling activities, till the time your home is not inspected and rid of asbestos.
- Do not wear the clothes you have been wearing during the remodelling and if you suspect they have caught the asbestos fibres, then get the asbestos professionals to dispose of it. Your clothes, if they have caught the asbestos fibre, can further spread it to your family members.
There are different types of asbestos, some of them are banned and some are allowed in small quantities in construction material. Asbestos can mostly be found in old homes that are now being remodelled.
Modern homes may not contain the banned asbestos material, but it’s always best to get homes inspected and rid of asbestos from professionals before remodelling or moving into a new home. It’s mostly the houses that are being renovated or remodelled that raise a cause of worry regarding asbestos.