Table of Contents Show
Maintaining your air conditioning unit frequently ensures efficient and effective operation.
However, how often should this maintenance be performed to optimize the performance of your AC unit? We’ll answer that question and provide some general tips on how to care for your A/C properly.
The Importance of Regular Ac Maintenance
Like any other machinery, air conditioners require regular tune-ups and check-ups to ensure they are running correctly. Neglecting to maintain your A/C unit can lead to many problems, including:
- Poor performance- If your air conditioner isn’t properly maintained, it will have to work harder to achieve the desired results. This can reduce its efficiency and increase your energy bills.
- Breakdowns- A well-maintained air conditioner is less likely to experience a breakdown than one that has been neglected. If your AC unit does break down, it will likely be more expensive to repair than if you had adequately maintained it.
- Shortened lifespan- With regular maintenance, your air conditioner will last longer and provide years of reliable service. Without proper care, an AC unit’s lifespan will be shortened, meaning you’ll have to replace it sooner.
How Often Do Different Types of Ac Units Require Maintenance?
Now that you know why it’s crucial to maintain your air conditioner, you’re probably wondering how often you should perform this maintenance. That will depend on factors such as the type of AC unit you have, the age of your unit, the climate you live in, and how often you use your air conditioner.
For most types of air conditioners, it’s recommended that you have the unit serviced at least once a year. You should preferably do it in the cooler seasons when the AC unit is not in daily use so that you can make necessary repairs and clean the unit appropriately.
If you reside in a region with a severe climate or your air conditioner is used frequently, you’ll need to have it serviced more often. In such circumstances, twice-yearly maintenance is usually adequate.
Age is a factor to consider when determining how often to maintain your air conditioner. If your unit is newer, it will likely require less frequent servicing than an older model. However, even newer units should be serviced at least once a year to ensure optimal performance.
General Tips for Maintaining Your Ac Unit
In addition to having your air conditioner serviced regularly, you can do a few things to ensure it stays in good working order. These general tips can help prolong the life of your AC unit and keep it running smoothly:
- Change The Air Filter- One of the simplest and most effective things you can do to maintain your unit is to change the air filter regularly. Depending on your filter type, you may need to change it as often as every month or as little as every three months.
- Keep The Area Around the Unit Clean- It’s essential to keep the area around your air conditioner free from debris so the unit can operate properly. Be sure to remove any leaves, grass, or other debris that may have accumulated around the unit.
- Keep The Coils Clean- The coils on your air conditioner can become dirty over time, reducing efficiency. To clean the coils, remove them and wash them with a hose. You can use a coil cleaning solution available at most hardware stores.
- Check For Leaks- Another simple way to maintain your air conditioner is to check for leaks regularly. If you notice any leaks in the unit, be sure to have them repaired as soon as possible.
What To Do If There Is a Problem with Your Unit
If you think there may be a problem with your air conditioner, it’s essential to have it checked out as soon as possible. Ignoring potential problems can lead to severe damage and expensive repairs.
If you’re having trouble with your air conditioner, you should check the owner’s manual, which will give you some basic troubleshooting information to help resolve the issue.
If the problem persists or you can’t find a solution in the manual, contact a professional for assistance. A qualified technician will be able to diagnose and repair any issues your air conditioner may be having.
How to Find a Reputable HVAC Technician
When your air conditioner isn’t working correctly, it’s crucial to find a qualified technician who can help.
The best way to find a reputable technician is to ask for recommendations from friends or family members who have used technicians or to call reputable service providers like furnace maintenance phoenix az.
You can also check online directories like Angie’s List or the Better Business Bureau to find customer reviews of local HVAC technicians. Once you’ve found a few potential candidates, call and ask each one for references, which will give you an idea of their experience and customer service level.
When you’re ready to schedule, get written estimates from each technician. It will allow you to compare prices and services to choose the best option for your needs.
The Cost of Regular Ac Maintenance
The cost of air conditioner maintenance will vary depending on your unit and the frequency you have it serviced. You can generally expect the cost of between $50 and $100 for an introductory service call.
If your unit requires more extensive repairs, the cost will be higher. However, regular maintenance can help prevent significant problems and keep your air conditioner running smoothly for many years.