Table of Contents Show
Previous research has shown that buyers should expect to be purchasing a new washing machine every six years. Of course, during those six years, you want to make sure that the washing machine you buy is worth the investment, so it is worth doing some research before you buy it.
No matter whether you live alone or have a large family, you will want to make sure that your washing machine can also handle the washing loads you need it to take, whilst also being economical to run, that’s why our guide is here, to help you choose the right appliance for your needs.
- These Simple Washer Machine Maintenance Tips Will Extend the Life of Your Appliance
- 6 Life-Saving Tips for Maintaining the Good Health of Your Washing Machine
- Washing Machine Maintenance Tips Every Homeowner Should Know
- When the Washing Machine Fails You: Who Should You Call?
- Top-Load vs. Front-Load Washer: Which to Choose?
- Does Your Appliances Need Repair or Replacement?
What Type of Washing Machine Do I Need?
The most important decision you can make about your washing machine is deciding what fitment type you would like to opt for. Some of the most common include:
- Freestanding – A freestanding washing machine isn’t incorporated into a built-in kitchen and is often placed under a kitchen worktop.
- Integrated – An integrated washing machine is designed to be incorporated into a kitchen unit and typically behind a cupboard door.
- Slimline – A slimline washing machine that is a lot smaller than a typical washing machine, to fit into smaller spaces with ease.
- Washer Dryer – A washer dryer is a combination of a washing machine and a tumble dryer in one.
What Capacity Washing Machine Do I Need?
Another important point to think about is the capacity of which you need. Capacities can range from 5kg up to 13kg, with 5kg capacities suitable for smaller families and couples and larger capacities for larger families.
As a rule of thumb, 5 t-shirts will equate to around 1kg. A 5kg machine will wash 25 t-shirts in one load, whilst a 10kg machine can wash up to 50.
This decision will purely be based on how many people are in your household and how often you do the washing.
What Spin Speed Will I Need?
The spin speed of a washing machine is the speed at which the drum spins. This determines how quick and efficient the appliance is at removing water from clothes during both the washing and drying process of the cycle.
Cotton clothing will require a higher spin speed to ensure that all moisture is removed from it, whereas more delicate clothes need a lower spin speed to ensure that they are not damaged.
Newer, more innovative machines will, in fact, give you the option to select the spin speed yourself based on what you are washing, as it is vital to pick the right spin speed to suit the clothes being washed.
What Programmes Do I Need?
The program options you have available to you will depend solely on which machine you decide to buy. These programs will give you the choice to tailor your wash cycle further to your own specific requirements.
Some common programs included in many washing machines are a cotton wash, mixed load, sports wash, and other special programs that will help you to get the best results for your clothes that require specific washing measures.
Should I Look into the Energy Efficiency of the Washing Machine?
It’s important to ensure that your washing machine has the best possible energy efficiency as this will enhance the function of your machine.
All washing machines incorporate EU regulations and will, therefore, have an energy rating label on them to confirm the efficiency of each particular model.
Energy ratings can vary from A+++ to C, as it is no longer legal to sell appliances with an energy efficiency rating of lower than C. Having a highly efficient washing machine will allow you to save more money per wash as less electricity will be used.
What is Noise Level?
Any washing machine you buy will make noise to some extent. However, the amount of noise will differ from product to product.
This is an important factor to keep in mind, especially if you have young children who do not like noise or if you have a more open-plan home.
Some washing machines will have innovative technology to make sure that noise levels are kept to a minimum.
As a rule of thumb, anything below 50 decibels is considered quiet, however, most washing machines will have a noise level that ranges between 40 and 80 decibels.
Do You Need a Smart Washing Machine?
A smart washing machine will allow you to connect it to your household Wi-Fi in the same way as you typically do with your tablet or smartphone.
Once this is done, you can then set your washing machine remotely using an app on your phone or by instructing your Alexa assistant.
Don’t panic though, you don’t need to have a smartphone to have a smart appliance either.
You can also set the washing machine manually, so no matter whether you own the latest iPhone or you’re still happy with the humble old Nokia, you’ll be able to enjoy the full benefits of your smart washing machine.
A smart washing machine will come with lots of helpful additional features such as;
- Remote Control Using an App; Start, stop, and pause your washing cycle using your phone or home assistant.
- Automatic Program Selection; Simply fill in a few details and your washing machine app will determine the perfect program for your laundry, and then run it.
- Capacity; Smart washing machines also have a wide range of capacities. Ranging from 6kg to 12kg, most models will be able to determine the load size and use the exact amount of water and energy.
- Auto-Dosing; Some machines also have the capabilities to weigh a load of washing and adjust the amount of detergent accordingly.
- Memory Feature; Some machines will be able to pick up on your most-used programs and suggest that you use them, each time to go to put a wash on.
We hope that the above points have given you the further guidance you need to purchase the perfect washing machine for your home.
Though if you are in need of further guidance, we suggest that you get in touch with your local reputable appliance retailer, such as Howards Appliances, the leading supplier of washing machines Stoke.
They will be able to answer any of your questions and point you further in the right direction to purchasing the perfect model.