How often do you repair your appliances? According to the U.S. News and World Report, homeowners spend from 1% to 4% of the value of their homes on maintenance and repairs annually.
If you want to minimize the amount of money you spend on the appliance repair, you should take a minute to think about maintenance. Generally, appliance maintenance isn’t complex or time-consuming. But only a small number of homeowners remember to do it.
Maintenance Tips for Your Top 10 Appliances
We asked Tampa based appliance repair experts to share quick maintenance tips for your top 10 appliances. This quick read can reduce your annual expenses.
- Essential Aspects to Be Taken Into Consideration While Purchasing Appliances From Kitchen Showroom
- Repairing, Installing and Maintenance of Household Fixtures and Appliances
- Washing Machine Maintenance Tips Every Homeowner Should Know
- 5 Major Benefits of Using BISSELL DeepClean Deluxe
- Tips to Get the Most Out of Your Vacuum Cleaner
If it breaks down, you don’t just lose your dinner, you have to dish out a formidable amount for repair and replacement.
- Check the door seals once a year to make sure the cool air doesn’t leak causing the fridge to work harder.
- Keep the dispenser coils clean (they are located in the back of your fridge).
- Keep food inside. Fridges need to be at least a quarter full to maintain the right temperatures easily. Empty fridges have to work harder.
How long can you go without your laundry machine working? Make sure you don’t have to repair it by following these simple tips:
- Inspect hoses and fittings every month to notice cracks or holes
- Don’t overload the machine
- Always use the right detergent suitable for your model. Read the manual.
- Clean the interior and the dispensers to prevent a harmful buildup
You may only need it for a few months each year but once the a/c breaks down, your life can become miserable.
- Vacuum the a/c fins every month to keep the appliance clean
- Change or clean air filters once a month or according to the manual
- Clean the coils every month. Dirty coils make the conditioner work harder and reduce air quality.
Have you tried heating up your food on the stove? You know that it takes forever. Keep your microwave oven in top shape by following the below advice.
- Clean the oven regularly. Ideally, it should be cleaned once a week.
- Use microwave-safe dishes to avoid breakdowns (aluminum foil, gold elements, and metal are out of the question).
- Be gentle with the door. The slamming microwave door is the leading cause of this appliance breakdowns.
If you are used to doing dishes in a dishwasher, you may be unpleasantly surprised how tough it is to wash them by hand. If you maintain your dishwasher properly, you’ll never find out how inconvenient it is to live without one.
- Check the seals to prevent leaks
- Clean the insides to prevent clogging
- Rinse heavily soiled dishes before putting them inside
- Clean filters on a regular basis according to the instructions.
Allergy and asthma sufferers need air purifiers to improve the quality of their lives. Improper maintenance reduces the efficiency of these appliances.
- Clean pre-filters once every three months
- Replace permanent filters (HEPA, activated carbon) once every 6 to 12 months
- Install the air purifier away from obstacles in order not to block the airflow
- Turn the air purifier off as soon as it starts making irregular noises
Keeping this appliance in top shape allows you not to worry about the condition of your home. Pay special attention to maintenance if you have a robotic vacuum cleaner.
- Empty containers out before they are full
- Clean the brushes at least once a month. Ideally, do it after each vacuuming.
- Replace filters according to the instructions
- Keep the cord detangled at all times
Even though electric kettles aren’t too energy-efficient, many homeowners can’t imagine living without them.
- Clean the electric kettle once a week
- Always keep the water level according to the max and min markings.
- Remove all water from the kettle after boiling
If you live in a hot and dry climate, a humidifier is the only way to keep the air comfortable in your home. If it breaks down at the most unexpected moment, you could be in for a few unpleasant days.
- Clean the humidifier on a regular basis in order to prevent harmful bacteria formation
- Keep it filled with distilled water. Using tap water can lead to breakdowns.
- Watch the humidity levels. Don’t allow them to get too high.
If you need to keep the quality of your water high, make sure to maintain your water purifier carefully. Otherwise, you may get a reverse effect and consume contaminated water.
- Replace filters on a regular basis
- Arrange regular servicing by qualified technicians
- Inspect the purifier for spills and leaks
It’s always better to get professional advice about your appliance maintenance. Opting for professional annual inspections can help your appliances function longer. It’s up to you to keep them in their best shape by following the above recommendations.