Table of Contents Hide
Your furnace requires proper maintenance so it can keep running efficiently. The ducts where the warm air travels also need cleaning. It’s recommended to get furnace maintenance at least once a year and duct cleaning in two to three years.
However, you may need to do it more frequently if there are more people in the house, you have pets, or the home generates more dust or dirt. There are various benefits to cleaning the ducts and keeping your furnace well-maintained, including the following.
Save Energy Bill
If your furnace is not maintained correctly, it may not function efficiently, meaning it has to work hard to achieve the set temperature.
Dirty ducts also make it difficult for heated air to pass through, pushing the heating system to work extra to keep the rooms warm. As a result, it uses more power, leading to an increase in the energy bill.
Properly maintaining the furnace and ducts will help you save on your electric bill since the system will not have trouble generating and distributing warm air to your home.
Improve Air Quality
Dirt, dust, animal droppings, and other debris may accumulate inside the ducts in the long run. Molds may also grow due to moisture.
Since air travels through the ducts, these particles may mix with the air, so you and your family may breathe them. This may cause health problems. Ensure that your ducts are clean so they provide good air quality.
Prevent Frequent Repairs
Regular maintenance will detect potential issues before they even turn worse, thus preventing frequent repairs that can be frustrating and costly.
Make The Furnace and Duct Last Longer
Dirt and other things that accumulate in the ducts can damage them in the long run. The furnace may also malfunction more often and may expire prematurely if improperly maintained. Regularly maintaining ducts and furnaces will extend their life, thus maximizing your investment.
Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Gas may leak from a faulty furnace. When carbon monoxide is inhaled, it will cause poisoning. Exposure to it can immediately cause you to lose consciousness, and if not treated right away, can even lead to death.
Regularly maintaining your heating system can prevent gas leakage, thus keeping your family safe from poisoning hazards.
Keep The Home Warm
A properly maintained furnace will efficiently heat air, while clean ducts will smoothly distribute it to the household. It will keep the home warm and make the family comfortable.
A certain period is recommended to have your ducts and furnace maintained, but you may need to do it more frequently due to varying factors.
Besides having several people and pets in your home, some signs tell you it’s time to clean the ducts or maintain the furnace. If you live around the area, an experienced HVAC Aurora IL company can do the job for you.
Signs That You Need Duct Cleaning
- Clogged Air Filters. Most manufacturers recommend changing air filters every three months or 90 days. However, your ducts may need cleaning if your air filters get clogged more frequently than that.
- Clogged Air Ducts. If you see dirt visibly coming out of the vent, it’s a sure sign that too much dirt has accumulated in the ducts and that it’s due for a cleaning.
- Mildew And Mould Around the HVAC System. Mildew and mold grow in a moist area and can spread quickly. If you see them around your HVAC system like the vents, furnace, or air conditioning unit, they are also present in your air ducts, so you need professional cleaning to eliminate them.
- Foul Smell from Air Ducts. Droppings, dead insects, and dirt that build up in the ducts can cause a bad smell, so it’s also a sign that your ducts need cleaning.
- Poor Airflow. It will be difficult for air to pass through a dirty air duct, so your ducts could be dirty if you notice poor airflow.
- Higher Energy Bill. The HVAC system will work harder to push warm air through the duct if it’s dirty, thus also increasing your energy consumption and leading to a higher energy bill.
- Major Home Repair or Renovation. Dirt could get in the ducts due to a major repair or renovation in your home, so be sure to have them cleaned.
Signs That You Need Furnace Maintenance
- Increase In the Electric Bill. If your furnace system is in bad shape, it needs to work harder to achieve the ideal temperature, contributing to a higher power bill.
- Unusual Noises. If you hear noises besides the typical sound coming from the motor, it’s also a sign that your furnace needs maintenance. Noises could mean that something is worn out and needs repair or replacement. If you fail to take care of it right away, the problem could worsen and may end up in a costlier repair.
- Difficulty Keeping the Home Warm. As mentioned, a furnace system that is not adequately maintained would have problems keeping your space warm in the long run.
It could cause discomfort and even sickness due to the temperature. If it takes more time for your furnace to warm the house, getting a professional maintenance service is a must.
- Frequent Cycles. When the furnace system detects that the air is colder than the set temperature, it cycles or turns on to warm the air.
However, if it’s malfunctioning, you will notice frequent cycles, which can cause damage to the unit if not fixed right away. Plus, it will also cause higher energy bills. Get the help of the experts right away when you notice it happening with your heating system.
- Orange Or Yellow Flames. A properly functioning furnace has blue flames. If you notice yours turning orange or yellow, get it serviced as soon as possible, especially if you experience nausea, dizziness, and headache. These could be signs of a carbon monoxide leak.
Ensure regular maintenance of your furnace and ducts to keep the system working efficiently, distributing warm air to your home without affecting the power bill.
Also, if you see any signs of dirty ducts or malfunctioning furnaces, get professional help right away to prevent the problem from getting worse.