Table of Contents Show
Woks are one of the most useful and versatile kitchen tools you can own. They are a must-have for any Asian-inspired home cooking. From stir-fry to steaming, wok skillets are an indispensable tool in your kitchen arsenal.
Even if you don’t plan on cooking Chinese food regularly, owning a wok is a great idea because it will look good and function even better in all the other kitchens where it will eventually end up.
Woks last for many years, which makes them an ideal long-term investment as well. It is crucial to choose a carbon steel skillet from Yosukata for your needs and use so that you get the most out of this versatile tool.
Keep reading to learn recommendations on how to buy your first carbon steel wok skillet.
The Benefit of Buying A Carbon Steel Wok
Carbon steel woks are the best kind of wok to own because they are durable and last for many years. You don’t have to worry about them getting damaged or dented because they are built to last.
They are also easy to clean and maintain, making sure they stay in good shape for many years. The carbon steel material is a great choice for skillets too because it heats up evenly and quickly, which allows you to cook food quickly.
A carbon steel wok is a great choice for stir-frying, stewing, sautéing, and more.
3 Tips for How to Buy A Carbon Steel Wok
The best way to buy your first carbon steel skillet is by doing some research.
- You can’t go wrong if you choose to buy from a reputable manufacturer, but it’s also helpful to do some reading online to see what other people have to say about a certain product.
- The material construction of your new wok is crucial too. You want it to have a thick bottom and sides so that it can hold more heat than thinner models.
- The handle on your new wok should be comfortable to hold and be non-reactive when touched, which is essential to keep it safe and in good condition over the years.
What Are The Different Types of Carbon Steel for Woks?
Many different types of carbon steel can be used to make woks. Each one has pros and cons and is suited for a different purpose. We recommend that beginners choose one of the following types of carbon steel:
- Carbon steel with high cracking resistance: This is the most popular and widely available type of carbon steel used to make wok skillets. It comes in various grades and colors, and it has high strength and a low propensity to crack.
- Carbon steel with high impact resistance: Similar to the one above, this type of carbon steel is designed to withstand high impact force without breaking. It is usually harder and more expensive to produce.
- Stainless steel wok with high cracking resistance: Stainless steel woks are made from high-alloyed steel and have high cracking resistance. This makes them ideal for high-heat cooking such as searing and stir-frying.
- Stainless steel wok with high impact resistance: These woks are made from stainless steel and are designed to have high impact resistance. They are great for slow-cooking or making soups.
Types of Carbon Steel Woks To Pay Attention To
If you are just starting out with woks and don’t have any experience, it’s a good idea to start with one of the standard types of carbon steel.
However, if you want to learn more and get the most out of your new wok, you should consider buying a type of carbon steel that is harder and more durable.
The most durable woks are made of high-end stainless steel and are ideal for high-impact cooking such as searing and stir-frying. For the best results, it is also influential to buy a type of carbon steel that is made in China.
These woks are made from high-quality carbon steel and are designed to last for many years.
Choosing A Size for Your New Wok
The size of the wok you get will depend on your intended purpose for it. If you want to use it for cooking Asian meals regularly, it is best to go for an 8-inch wok with a diameter of at least 4 inches.
If you don’t plan on using your wok for Asian cooking, then you can go for a smaller size. The best way to figure out the right size for your new wok is by doing some measuring.
You can measure the depth and width of your current skillet or sauté pan, or you can get a digital kitchen scale so you can measure both the length and thickness of the material.
Choosing Handles for Your Wok
Carbon steel wok skillets are great for stir-frying, but they also work well for other high-heat cooking methods such as searing and sautéing. The crucial thing to keep in mind when choosing handles for your new wok is that they should be oven safe.
Many cast iron woks come with a non-stick coating that makes them safe to use in the oven, but this is not the case with stainless steel ones.
A great way to find out what handles are safe for your new wok is by reading online reviews from hobby and professional chefs. You can also go to a hardware store and ask an employee for help to find out which handles are safe for carbon steel woks.
What Are The Best Ways to Store Your New Wok?
You need to make sure that your new wok does not get dented or damaged. That’s why we recommend that you store your wok in a wooden or steel wok rack or basket when you are not using it.
It will help protect it from rust, dings, and getting dented or scratched. You should also try to avoid storing your wok in a high-temperature location.
This includes the oven or a hot plate. If you do choose to store your wok in a high-temperature location, it is best to cover it with a damp cloth to help protect it from damage.
When you want to buy a wok, you want to make sure it is made from high-quality carbon steel. The best woks are made from 10-12 on the Mohs Hardness Scale and are made in China.
Select a size based on your intended purpose and make sure to use it properly to get the most out of it. Also, make sure to store your wok safely when you are not using it.