Table of Contents Show
- 1. Adding Key Pieces of Furniture Can Transform Your Outdoor Space
- 2. Gardening Can Create a Holistic Atmosphere
- 3. Plan an Outdoor Mini Carnival
- 4. Outdoor Water Spaces and Activities are a Great Way to Cool Down
- 5. Create a Backyard Adventureland
- 6. Outdoor Cooking and Mixology Parties
- 7. Move Everyday Activities Outside
Now that warm weather is in full swing, the most convenient way to enjoy the outdoors is to take full advantage of your own front or backyard.
Fresh air and sunshine during this time of social distancing are needed for both mental and physical health. Sunlight can boost serotonin levels, which can help to improve mood, and being in nature can significantly enhance your psychological well-being.
- Do Pergolas Provide Shade? Here’s Everything You Need to Know About Pergolas
- Transform Your Outdoor Space for Relaxation and Fun
- Tips to Get the Best Out of Your Outdoor Living Area
- Your Guide to Setting Up an Outdoor Dining Area
- 5 Ways to Transform Your Outdoor Room
- Keep on Top of Lawn Maintenance
- 6 Steps to a Better Backyard
1. Adding Key Pieces of Furniture Can Transform Your Outdoor Space
It’s important to think about fundamental pieces of furniture that you might want to use to enhance your space. Updating old outdoor furniture is also advisable if you plan on fully utilizing your outdoor area.
A few other basic items to consider would be an outdoor patio table, bench, umbrella, and grill. A cabana or even a patio daybed could also be a fun addition. If you have a full outdoor kitchen, adding bar stools or a picnic table will create additional seating that your guests will love.
2. Gardening Can Create a Holistic Atmosphere
Planting greenery, flowers, or maintaining your outdoor space is an enjoyable activity for families, or couples, friends, and individuals. Gardening is a peaceful way to spend time outdoors and beautify your space.
It’s also a productive way to spend solo time in your back or front yard if need be. A landscaping party (friends come over ready to beautify your garden) is a fun way to spend time with friends and get moving after being homebound.
3. Plan an Outdoor Mini Carnival
Planning a backyard carnival can be as complicated or straightforward as you’d like it to be, and is a fun activity for families, couples or roommates, and even individuals that want to improve their outdoor game skills. Some outdoor games to consider are:
- Bobbing for apples
- Ring Toss
- Lawn Darts
The best part of a carnival is always the food. Carnival-themed food, drinks, snacks, and a show is a great way to capture the full carnival experience. Attendees can all participate in your production by doing a talent show, performing tricks, or dressing up for a carnival-themed costume contest.
4. Outdoor Water Spaces and Activities are a Great Way to Cool Down
Water games are excellent summer activities that families or friends can enjoy. A pool is a great addition to your backyard, but if you need a less labor-intensive solution, here are a few quick activities that require minimal items.
- Water Balloon Fight: Items Needed – Balloons and Water
- Water Cup Relay: Items Needed – Cups and Water
- Slip and Slide: Items Needed – Tarp, Hose, and Shampoo
- Squirt Gun Tag: Items Needed – Squirt Guns, Water
- Frozen T-Shirt Race: Items Needed – Frozen T-Shirts
- Kiddie Pool Kickball: Items Needed – Kiddie Pool, Water, Rubber Ball
If you are looking for a space to keep cool, DIY water spaces such as lazy rivers or make-shift water slides are labor-intensive projects but are definitely worth it in the end.
5. Create a Backyard Adventureland
Taking advantage of the great outdoors is an adventure that families can share in their own backyards. Creating multiple spaces for activities or rest is a great way to fit in some alone time if families start feeling a little cooped up with each other.
One outdoor adventure section could consist of tents, while a different part of your backyard or even front yard could have hammocks for relaxation. Mini or even full-sized trampolines are entertaining for children and adults.
If you have space and local fire code permits, installing a fire pit is easy and provides a full camping experience. Activities such as birdwatching or scavenger hunts will definitely take your adventure to another level.
Other options include a treehouse, repurposing a backyard shed into a hideaway that could also serve as a relaxation room or meditation station for family members that may need some alone time.
You could even get this tent for 4 person to enjoy a little camping getaway right in your backyard.
Adding a nighttime adventure with sparklers, lanterns, flashlights, or LED lights can be a pleasant way to enjoy the time under the stars. Storytelling competitions can be an enjoyable outdoor activity either in a tent or sitting around a fire pit.
6. Outdoor Cooking and Mixology Parties
Outdoor grilling or a full outdoor kitchen is the perfect opportunity to invite a few friends or spend time with family. Host a dinner or cocktail party where friends engage in a grilling competition or mini cooking class for a more interactive evening.
Have a mixology party as a festive way to learn new cocktail recipes, and friendly competition and prizes for the best drink can add some healthy competition to your gathering.
7. Move Everyday Activities Outside
Making a conscious effort to take everyday activities outside is an excellent way to get fresh air and to get the most out of your outdoor spaces. Try taking your home workout routines outside and even commit to spending a portion of the day doing computer work on your patio if you can.
You’ll never regret spending time getting fresh air and sunshine, and utilizing your easily accessible outdoor space is a safe way to enjoy a private outdoor hideaway at your convenience.