Table of ContentsShow
Your roof provides you with protection against the elements and keeps you safe during all kinds of weather. This exposure can cause your roof to become damaged and deteriorate over time. It is possible to increase the lifespan of your roof, however, through regular maintenance.
Why Should You Do Roof Maintenance?
Your roof is one of the largest and most important parts of your house. You need to inspect it regularly and ensure it is maintained and free from any issues.
Companies like Four Seasons Kanga Roof, a Warren roofing company can help you with your roof maintenance and re-roofing requirements. They will assign a team to handle your project when you use their services.
Roof maintenance is important for the following reasons:
- Your roof is always exposed to the weather, and you will cut your future expenses if you inspect it and maintain it. Regular maintenance could mean the difference between a future repair and a total replacement.
- A well-maintained roof can add to your home’s general appeal, and help you sell your house. This could be vital in getting a better selling price for your house, however, many homeowners seem to neglect this important aspect of homeownership.
- It’s also important to ensure that your roof’s gutters drain properly, as clogged gutters can ruin the landscaping around your home.
- Clean your roof often as roof algae can cause black streaks on your roof and prematurely age it.
- Finally, watch for the following problems and have them fixed as soon as possible: peeling paint or missing, broken and buckled shingles.
What is Roof Maintenance?
When you hire a roofing contractor for maintenance, they will look at the following:
- They will check the pipe boots for cracks as these could be the reason for a roof leak.
- Evidence of animal intrusion. Small animals could chew on electrical wiring, which is a common cause of fires. Their waste can also create a biohazard.
- The contractor will remove debris such as sticks and leaves. Debris can cause leaks and overflowing gutters.
- They will determine if the ventilation is working well. Condensation in your attic can dissolve adhesives in the plywood decking.
- If you have a chimney, they can tell you if it needs to be inspected by a certified chimney sweep.
Maintain Your Roof Warranty
You may not be completely protected by a roof warranty, as it could have exceptions. For example, if you install materials incorrectly or damage to your roof is caused by something like installing a roof-top satellite dish, your warranty could be voided.
You may also find that roofing companies and material manufacturers require professional inspections after major weather events, or at least every few years, for their warranty to stay active.
If you can’t provide evidence that you have maintained your roof when you try to claim on your warranty, you may run into a problem.
When You Need Re-Roofing
If you have serious damage to your roof, you may believe that the only option is to replace it, but re-roofing or re-surfacing may be another option. Re-roofing could also increase the value of your property, and has the following advantages:
- It’s the quickest way to restore your roof.
- Re-roofing isn’t as costly as a full replacement.
- It will improve the appearance of your house.
Regular roof maintenance will give you peace of mind and save you money. If you catch problems early, you can complete the repairs before the situation becomes serious.
Hiring a reputable roof contractor will save you money and time in the long run. It’s essential to be able to provide evidence of regular repairs if you want your roof to be replaced.