Kitchen cabinets are one of the most essential things in your home. It is helpful for storage, especially to keep your important kitchen tools and utensils. When you renovate your kitchen, you need to install some new cabinets, and for this work, you need to hire some professionals.
DIY Guidelines for Installing Kitchen Cabinets
Installing kitchen cabinets can be done by some DIY techniques also. You can install the small racks and free-stand cabinets in your kitchen without any help. But you cannot able to install the wall mounted cabinets by yourself.
In this case, you need to hire some professionals for this installation. To avoid this installation cost, you can go for some free-stand kitchen cabinets only.
Tools Needed to Install Kitchen Cabinets:
There are a few basic things that one needs to install kitchen cabinets. They are Screws, Clamps, screwdriver, ledger wood slab, drill bit set, jigsaw, measure tape, block plane and circular saw along with the cabinets you want to hang.
In this case, you can buy these tools from online portals and you can find your home cabinets and other furniture with these same tools in the future.
Installing Kitchen Cabinets
The first step to install the cabinets is to measure the wall with the help of the measurement tapes. Mark the lines and points where the cabinets will be placed. Make sure that you mark all the places properly including the electric wire positions and such.
- After the measurement is done, the next step will be to fix the ledger wood. Ledger wood is used to give support to the cabinet. It is necessary as this wood slab holds the entire weight of the cabinet. For the lower cabinet it may not be needed but for installing kitchen cabinets on the upper side it is mandatory.
- In the next step, you need to fix the cabinets. First of all, if you are willing to fix more than one cabinet then fix the boxes with each other first. As much as you want or the available space allows you. You can fix them with screws and screwdriver. The size of the screws depends on the thickness of the cabinet you have.
- Then in the next step carefully fix the entire cabinet set on the support wood. Before you fix the cabinet make sure to remove the doors or slides. It is recommended while installing kitchen cabinets because it reduces the weight.
- At the time of the fixing of the cabinets, one has to be sure that if there is an electric wire or connection to be installed later then there is enough space to do so.
Finally, fix the doors on the cabinet. You can also leave the cabinets open as many kitchens have. It depends on what sort of storage you want.
Things to Know About Installing Kitchen Cabinets
- If upper and lower both types of cabinets are needed to be installed then start with the upper ones. First, install the hanging ones then go for the lower ones. In this case, you can also use some metal cabinets because these are the lightweight cabinets and you can easily fix them on the walls.
- Corners are the best places to install cabinets. Start the measurement from a corner and end up in the right place. This helps one to get a proper measurement.
- If the cabinets are longer like full wall covered cabinets then the measurement must be taken from the upper side of the wall.
Installing kitchen cabinets is an easy task if you have experience of using screws, drivers, wooden boards and such. If not, then calling a contractor or carpenter will be a wise idea. They have experienced professionals and they can easily install your kitchen cabinets within few hours only.