Your front entry door is one of the first things people see when they visit your home so it’s important to make a good first impression!
There are many different options available for front entry doors, so selecting the right one for your home is important.
This article will discuss when you should upgrade or replace your front door, items you should consider when selecting your door design, and provide tips on choosing the right entry door for your needs.
Why Should You Consider Upgrading or Replacing Your Front Entry Door?
Your front entry door has probably been exposed over the years – intense sunlight, high winds, cold winters, and driving rain can wreak havoc on your door, not to mention the hundreds or thousands of times it’s been opened and closed. This wear and tear can take its toll, making your front entry door look worn out and dated.
Are you ready to upgrade your front door? Many doors are available that are more durable and offer better energy efficiency. A new front entry door will give your home an instant face-lift.
Let’s take a look at some of the reasons you should consider upgrading your front entry door:
- A new front door can offer better energy efficiency. Older doors are often drafty, letting warm air in a house escape in the winter and cool air escape in the summer. New front entry doors are made with energy efficiency in mind and can help you save money on your energy bills.
- Replacing an old front door with a new one can also help improve your home’s security. Older doors, especially wooden ones, are often not as strong or secure as newer ones and are an easy target for burglars.
An iron or steel door is a good option if you’re looking for increased security. If you’re concerned about your home’s security, upgrading to a new front door is a great way to increase its security and protect your family.
- When selecting your front entry door, it would be best to keep in mind the climate. If you live in the bay area, in cities such as Santa Rosa, San Rafael, or San Francisco with a lot of moisture or humidity, you’ll want to avoid doors made from wood, as they can warp and swell in humid conditions.
So, for a front door installation in Santa Rosa or other cities in the bay area, you should go for fiberglass or steel doors as these doors won’t warp or swell in humid conditions.
- When you decide to replace your old door with the new one, you have many designs, colors, and styles. You can upgrade the boring design of your old door and choose from modern, industrial, classic, and so many more designs that appeal to your taste.
Things You Should Keep in Mind When Selecting the Door Design
- The Style of Your Home: You want the front door to complement the overall style of your home. If you have a modern home, you’ll want to select a front door with clean lines and minimal ornamentation. If your home has a more traditional look, you might want to choose a front door with more detailed carvings or embellishments.
- The Material of Your Front Door: Front doors can be made from various materials, including wood, fiberglass, steel, and aluminum. Each material has its benefits and drawbacks, so it’s important to choose the material that will work best for your needs.
- The Budget for Your Front Door: Front doors can range from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars. It’s important to set a budget for your door before you start shopping to avoid getting overwhelmed by the options.
Once you’ve considered these factors, you can start looking for front doors that fit your criteria. There are a few great places to look including home improvement stores, door manufacturers, and online retailers. When you find a door that you like, be sure to get a quote from the seller to understand the cost.
Final Tips: How to Select the Right Entry Door for Your Home?
Now, you are clear about the different designs and why you should replace your front entry doors. The next step is to select the right front entry door for your home. Here are some tips you get you started:
As mentioned previously, the tour entry door design should match your home architecture. It doesn’t matter if your home is traditional, modern, craftsman or somewhere in between – there’s a front entry door design to match.
- If your home’s architecture is somewhat traditional, then get timeless, classic features in your entry doors like raised panels, glass inlays, and decorative hardware.
- For a more modern home, look for front entry doors with clean lines and large expanses of glass. Decorative hardware should be minimal or nonexistent.
- For a craftsman home, a fiberglass door with a beautiful “craftsman light” glass at the top third of the door gives you the classic craftsman look to your home. This type of door allows for privacy and lets in plenty of natural light.
Finally, we want to remind you that front entry door installation should typically be done by a professional. To locate the top professional door installation company in your area, your best bet is to search online and ask your friends for referrals.