Formica Countertops are ranked among the preferred kitchen countertops because they are affordable and beautiful. They are versatile and it is for this reason that they come in different finishes and designs.
In this regard, they can either resemble hardwood, stone, or countertops and it is for this reason that you don’t have to fret about finding Formica countertops that compliment your kitchen’s décor. These also come in a spectrum of colors such as red, black, cream, blue and white.
Tips for Buying
Before purchasing Formica countertops, there are a couple of things you need to take into consideration and these are as highlighted below.
- Your kitchen décor plays an important role when making your pick. This is because it influences the texture and color of the Formica you are going to pick out. Considering the wide range of Formica countertops, it should not be difficult for you to achieve this end.
- Color dynamics demand that contrasting colors should be used and for the purpose of avoiding monotony if you have cabinets that are dark, it is advisable to opt for Formica which is light and warm colored. On the same note, cabinets that are light-colored are better complimented by dark-color Formica.
- It is advisable to have a look at some of the interior design magazines available. This is important as it gives you an idea of different styles and colors that might complement your kitchen. In addition, with the help of an interior designer, you also stand a better chance of making the appropriate choice.
- Compared to other materials, Formica is not hard and it is for this reason that it is considered important to combine it with another material for the purpose of making it practical.
In this regard, the areas under the harshest treatment like cooking areas should be made of granite. More importantly, make sure that the Formica countertops have uniform color shades for the purpose of ensuring that there are no inconsistent patterns in the granite.
Installation of Formica Countertops
For the purpose of ensuring that you end up with the best Formica countertops, you should not install them on your own. They require sensitive handling and when this is not the case, they can get damaged easily.
It is for this reason that it is recommended to have the Formica countertops installed by professionals. Some of the problems that might arise due to poor installation include the following.
- Swelling of the Formica
- Separation of the layers
- Water penetration into the Formica layers
It is for all these reasons that it is considered advisable to consult with an expert who understands what needs to be done for the purpose of giving you the perfect finish.
It is important to note that maintenance is of utmost importance for the purpose of ensuring that the Formica countertops last for a long duration. It is also the only way to ensure that the structure will not fall apart thus making it irreparable.
It is for this reason that you need to do the following.
- Talk to the manufacturer and ask them for maintenance directions.
- Clean the countertops using soft cloths and soapy water.
- Harsh liquids and chemical cleaners should be avoided because they can damage the Formica countertops’ surface.
- If you are carrying out cutting or chopping tasks, do not do it directly on the Formica countertops.