Now that many are asked to stay inside their homes, perhaps you may have started to look around your house and noticed that certain areas are in dire need of a makeover.
Perhaps there’s a room that feels bland or looks aged. It could even be that there’s a wall that has long been screaming, “I need some help!” Thankfully, there are many ways for you to brighten up a room.
Before proceeding, you may be thinking, wouldn’t home renovations be expensive? There’s just not enough budget for that at the moment, perhaps. But, hold up that thought.
With the wide variety of changes that you can do, small and big, to brighten up a room, undoubtedly, some changes are friendly on the pocket yet can still have a significant effect.
One of the ways for you to make this positive change in your home is by putting up a unique wall décor. By unique, this invites your imagination to play along.
Surely, there are many options for you to choose from. Generally, the choice is dependent on your personality, on the mood that you’re trying to create for the room, and even with your interior design.
Wall decor can brighten a room by:
Add Colorful Contrasts to Highlight and Color Match Specific Walls
When the paint of the walls in the room that you’re trying to improve is still in good condition, then, luckily, you don’t have to worry about the difficult task of going back to the basics with painting your wall.
All you have to do now is play around with colors, making sure that your wall décor complements that of your existing walls.
Whatever it is that you decide to do, always remember that one universal purpose of your entire project is to improve the overall aesthetic value of your room.
To help you along this line, here are some tips for you to apply when trying to color match your walls:
- You can never go wrong with the classic blue-and-white palette. If you’ve got dark blue walls, then work with light white wall décor.
Whatever contrast of colors you decide to play along, you can apply it on the furniture, such as for a floating shelf, too.
- Tangerine and olive color matching also works to be a classic, especially when you love a hint of bright color here and there.
- Aquamarine and raspberry pink is an excellent color matching combination to try out for a girl’s room.
- Do you have blush pink or pale walls? Create that matching contrast with magenta wall décor, or anything in a dark wood shade.
- If you’re trying to create a more contemporary feel in the room, going for a hint of mint green and gray is an excellent way to break the monotony.
Now that you’ve got these color matching examples, do you know how to mix and match them or how to apply it in terms of wall décor? If not, here are some tips to guide you:
You don’t necessarily have to go for a perfect match the whole time. Eyeball the swatches of the wall décor with that of the wall itself. As long as you like the result, then don’t be afraid to go for it.
Always evaluate your wall décor of choice in natural light
By doing so, you’re able to see the most accurate match of the wall décor in its natural sense.
Take a photo of the room you’re trying to revamp
Before you head out and shop for wall décor, it helps if you bring along with you a photo of the room that you’re trying to revamp.
In so doing, it’s easier for you to mix and match wall décor, rather than leaving it entirely to your imagination.
- How to Add an Interior Wall into Your House: Interior Design Styles
- Homemade Wall Decoration Ideas Tips and Tricks for Your Home
- Use Mosaic Designs to Beautify your Walls, Floors and Ceilings
- Know the Design Standards and Sag Limits of Bookcase Walls
- DIY Wall Decor, How to Decorate Walls With Wallcovering
- Decorate Your Homes With Multi Canvas Wall Art
- Unique Ways to Make Your Walls Look Attractive
Add Interesting Shape Contrasting to Plain Walls
Apart from playing with colors, you can take it one step further and play with contrasting shapes, too. When you go for this type of wall décor, you’re also bringing out the surrounding furniture even more.
In simpler terms, it means staying away from just the standard square wall décor. Put your creativity and imagination to test when doing this DIY decor project.
That said, here are some tips for you to apply when using interesting shapes on your wall décor:
Start with the basics and decorate in three’s
When it comes to playing around with shapes, start by decorating in threes. This can help create that perfect symmetry in any room, even when you’re going for geometric shapes.
For instance, three diamond-shaped small mirrors on a blank wall.
Frame different geometric shapes with metallic frames
Don’t shy away from using various geometric shapes as a part of your wall décor. But, to avoid it from looking too busy, frame it up in a uniform metallic color.
Generally, gold metal framing always works to be the cleanest.
When unsure, go for peel-off wall art
If you’re not confident about hanging permanent wall décor on your wall, then go for decals. These are temporary wall art that can create just as great an impact as permanent ones.
Whenever you wish to change the décor of the wall, it’s also easier for you to just peel and change.
Allowing You to Express Your Personality Through the Art and Images It Portrays
There’s no single way on how to decorate a home. Generally, this is always dependent on the homeowners’ preferences.
Every person has their style element, which is mostly based on their personalities. Hence, when putting up wall décor, don’t be afraid to let your personality shine through.
This is one of the best ways for you to make your home entirely and uniquely yours.
Also, when you choose to incorporate your personality through your wall décor, the more that you feel like you’re in the right place. You don’t feel alien in your own home.
To help you get a head start, here are some pointers to guide you when inserting your personality in your décor:
Don’t shy away from investing in custom wall décor
For instance, if you’re an animal lover, then go ahead and post images or paintings of animals. If you have photos of your pets, include them as well.
Determine what influences your style
Each person has varying influences of their personal style. Hence, it’s important that you’re able to determine yours.
When you do, you’ll know where to search and look out for inspiration for your wall décor.
Questions that you may want to answer will include the following:
- What is your clothing style like? Yes, even your clothing can say a lot about your personality, which can help you determine what style of wall or room décor will work for you.
- Where do you get your inspiration from? If there are photos on the Internet or magazines that inspire you, bring these along with you as you shop.
- What triggers your imagination? When you’re looking at wall décor, where are you most likely drawn to? Classics? Vintage? Bright? Preppy? Tropical? It’s all up to you.
Choose the paint color of your wall décor that sits well with your personality
Your color preference has a lot to say about your personality. Thus, it’s all up to you to choose the one that best reflects you.
As a quick run-through, here’s what your choice of paint says about your personality:
- If you prefer neutrals, this shows that you’re a peace-loving person. You love to stay in between or stay in the middle ground.
- If you prefer bright yellows and orange, this shows that you’re an optimistic person. You prefer the vivid reminders of light.
- If you prefer brighter blues and greens, it creates the impression that you’re more laid back. You’d like to be reminded of the relaxing feel of greenery and relaxing waters.
- If you like violets and rich emeralds, it shows that you’re outgoing and vivacious.
Use hidden and well-kept treasures
In injecting some of your personality in your wall décor, you don’t even necessarily have to run to the stores to buy a complete set of décor.
You can start by shopping through your closet and memoir.
Perhaps there are photos that you treasure that you’d want now to show off. Photos of travels or memorable moments in your life?
It could also be certain well-kept treasures that are handed down from one generation to the next.
Do you have a scarf that your grandmother knitted? If you don’t want to use it, frame it up instead.
Doing so can create a good conversation piece whenever guests come over to visit. Plus, you can be sure that no one else will have that same wall décor as you do.
Showcase your talents and skills
This applies to you if you’ve got talents and skills that you’ve long kept a secret. Are you a good painter?
Why buy wall décor when you can frame up your paintings and hang them up?
There’s no other better way to show off your personality than to hang up items that are also truly and uniquely yours.
Giving You Unlimited Creativity to Mix and Match Different Pieces
When decorating your wall, let your imagination be your limit! To create something amazing, don’t be afraid to mix and match.
There’s so much possibility for you to play around with textures, styles, and designs that you can hang or use. Think of wall décor as the finishing touch to the room that you’re trying to brighten.
When you play along with your imagination, you’ll be surprised at how much you can actually do, even with as simple an element as wall décor.
When there’s no wrong or right way to do it, mix and match as much as you can handle.
In this regard, however, it’s also important to remember that there’s a fine line that separates what looks coordinated and nice – mixed and matched – and what looks messy.
Here are some critical tips for you to follow:
- First, determine the different color palettes that you know you’ll love and that you’re comfortable enough to mix and match
- When going for large prints or wall décor that’s already busy in itself, set it against a neutral wall to avoid looking too busy
- Whenever you’re unsure, you can always take the simplest route, which is to combine white with a colored pattern
Creates a Unique Focal Point of Your Room
Have you ever heard of the term “accent wall?” This is what wall décor on one single room can do when you’re trying to brighten up a room.
Rather than decorating all four walls, you might also want to give it a shot to focus on just one area. This wall will serve as the accent wall of what could’ve otherwise been an empty-looking room.
Plus, the idea that every room must have a focal point is one of the most classic principles of interior design. With wall décor, now you can live up to this standard.
Here are some helpful tips that you can adopt in creating an accent wall:
- Find the natural focal point in the wall that you’ll designate to place your wall décor in
- For you to identify as your accent wall, choose an unexpected area of the room, such as the wall that contains the door
- Don’t be too technical or too matchy-matchy
- Add lighting to your accent wall
- Don’t shy away from adding wallpaper as a stark contrast to whatever wall décor you may choose in your room
Albeit only a minor detail, one can’t deny the effectivity of wall décor in making an otherwise drywall look brand new. Wall art plays a huge role in enhancing the overall interior design factor of a room.
With these tips, you now have more insights on how to play with wall décor to improve the aesthetics of your room.
Then, going even further, the right wall décor can also increase the coziness and elegance of a room. Now, all that’s left for you to do is to play with your creativity and choose the wall décor that you deem best for your room.