A fresh coat of paint can instantly refresh the look of your home. Not only that, but a quality paint job is also the first line of defense against the elements.
By following a few tips and tricks, you can paint the exterior of your home with a quality finish that boosts curb appeal and protects your siding. Here are 5 tips on how to paint a house right.
Choose Quality Paint
It’s important to choose quality paint instead of using lower-cost paint that doesn’t deliver a great result. With the improvements in paint technology, you can purchase affordable and quality paint that doesn’t fade or discolor.
Take care in choosing your paint because the paint you use will extend, or shorten, the life of your paint job.
Check out this article for more on how often you need to paint your home.
- 13 Interesting Ways to Make Your Home the Best Looking One in Your Neighbourhood!
- How Painting Your Furniture Can Give Your Room a Chic and Trendy Feel
- Color Schemes for Houses: A Complete Guide to Choosing Paint Colors
- Crucial Things You Need to Know Before Painting Your Home
- DIY Painting: How to Spray Using an Airless Paint Sprayer
- How to Hire a Painting Contractor – A Step by Step Guide
- Reasons to Paint Your Home Exterior
When painting a house, it’s best to check the weather and make sure you’re tackling this big task in painting-friendly weather. Nothing is worse than starting an exterior paint job only to have the rain ruin what you’ve accomplished and delayed your work.
The ideal weather for painting your home is dry with low humidity.
Protect the Landscape
Painting a house is messy and the last thing you want to see is to paint splatters all over your beautiful landscaping. More importantly, the chemicals in your paint can harm the foliage below the area you are painting.
Before getting started, make sure to cover the ground and all of your vegetation with fabric drop cloths.
Prepare the Surface
There are a few steps you must take to prepare the surface before you paint a house:
- Pressure wash to clean the surface
- Scrape and sand to smooth the surface
- Patch and replace any rotted wood or components
- Prime the surface with a quality primer and sand to smooth – This step doesn’t apply if you’re using a paint and primer in one
- Fill and seal all dents and cracks with caulking
By properly preparing the surface, you’ll ensure that you paint your house right.
Painting Tips and Techniques for a Quality Finish
All of your hard work preparings will be for nothing if you are using ineffective painting techniques. The following tips and techniques will help you achieve a smooth finish that is full-coverage:
- Use high-quality painting tools (a brush and rollers are recommended for DIY’ers)
- Paint from top to bottom to control streaks
- Apply 2 top coats for full coverage
- Remember to cut in at the corners
An effective brush technique for DIY’ers is to:
Load 2″ of the brush with paint and slap the sides of the can to remove excess paint. Apply the paint in 2-3 back-and-forth strokes. Reload and repeat for a few square feet and then smooth the paint without reloading the brush.
An effective roller technique for DIY’ers is to:
Load the roller until it is saturated, with no excess paint dripping off. Apply the paint with the roller for a few square feet. Back brush the paint with a brush to smooth the area.
How to Paint a House Right: The Bottom Line
By following these tips on how to paint a house right you ensure a smooth, quality and long-lasting finish.
Don’t forget to bookmark our site and never miss a post.