In the beginning, landscaping was primarily concerned with aesthetics and design. The objective of landscaping was to make a site aesthetically pleasing to look at.
Landscape architecture then evolved into something much more, taking into consideration not only the site’s appearance but also the surrounding environment.
Here are some benefits of landscaping that can maximize your yard’s potential by adding enjoyment and value:
- Landscaping involves transforming an outdoor space into a more pleasant and usable one. For many homeowners, landscaping adds beauty, character, and functionality to their yard as well as increases their property value.
- Landscaping gives you more reason to enjoy the outdoor area of your property; you’ll enjoy being outside more when you have a beautiful garden to entertain guests with. You’ll also enjoy the pride that strategic landscaping contributes to your home’s exterior.
- Landscaping is one way to add value to your home. If done well, it can make the most modest yard into an extension of the home and it can increase the market value of the property as well.
Landscaping Trends for Australian Homes
With many new styles and trends emerging every year, Australian homes and landscapes have evolved into hugely diverse places.
From stately homes to ornate gazebos and backyard gardens to beautiful public open spaces, the scope for creating your vision is practically endless.
It’s important to remember though, that the landscape element of your home should always remain consistent with your personal preferences for design and color.
If you’re from Melbourne, Australia, you’ll want to look for a reputable landscape professional to work on your home.
Here are five landscaping trends that you may want to incorporate into your home:
1. Go Native
One trend that’s beginning to grow in popularity is the use of native vegetation in landscaping. With more people being aware of the ecological benefits of native plants, more Australian homeowners are embracing the idea of growing their own.
Also, most native plants are hardy, easy to maintain, and are generally much cheaper to purchase than non-native species.
- This can range from traditional native plants, such as trees and flowers, to sustainable and organic forms of plants.
- Landscaping with native vegetation can dramatically increase the perceived value of your property as well as improve its overall ecological quality. Some examples of popular native plant and tree varieties include Bird of Paradise, Sweet Jasmine, Acacia, and Ebony.
2. Garden Beds
Whether you’re planning to landscape your entire yard or just part of it, there are certain benefits of garden beds that you should consider.
It’s important to note that garden beds can be constructed with a large variety of different materials.
The Australian-owned metal garden edging company, FormBoss suggests edging lawns to create a neat border that also prevents turf from growing into flower beds.
Here are some benefits of garden beds:
- One of the main benefits of garden beds is that they can improve the look of your garden or backyard area.
When you’re choosing a raised bed or a regular one, you should always consider the type of soil conditions in your garden, whether or not the garden bed will be subjected to repeated watering, the type of grass and weeds that you have on your property, and other factors.
Although there certainly are many styles of garden beds available, the raised type can often be the most beneficial in many different situations.
- Garden beds allow more area for planting, increased privacy and ventilation, and have better pest control.
The wide variety of garden beds available today will also allow you to purchase customized beds to fit your exact preferences.
The selections available will allow you to easily select the garden bed that meets your needs, budget, and requirements.
- Garden beds also provide your garden area with additional space for plants to grow, which, in turn, creates more natural-looking gardens.
Because the bed is elevated, it allows for better sun distribution, which helps ensure that the plants get an even amount of sunlight.
Also, the raised garden bed allows for better drainage as well, which keeps water, fertilizer, and other nutrients moving out of the soil and onto the ground.
- Finally, garden beds are typically made of organic matter and because this material is used above ground, the bed provides a good place for erosion to occur.
If you would like to grow a stronger, lusher garden, a garden bed may be necessary to add extra support and improve drainage.
3. Outdoor Living Spaces
Outdoor living spaces are also a popular landscaping option this 2021. Melbourne and Sydney homeowners who are looking to create an extension of their indoor living space should consider working with a reliable landscaper to accomplish their goals.
- Many people are now opting to landscape their backyards to enjoy the natural beauty surrounding them. A great feature of this trend is the addition of natural accessories like stone statues, rock fountains, and outdoor fire pits.
- Outdoor living areas are the perfect solution for those who want to extend their living space outside, creating a place to relax or entertain guests.
4. Vegetable Gardens
Vegetable gardens became more popular when the pandemic started last year. With urban populations like Melbourne and Sydney, Australia growing larger and apartments featuring limited outdoor areas, more families are deciding to grow vegetables and other fruits and vegetables in their backyard.
- Vegetable gardens can range anywhere from a small patch of herbs to a large natural vegetable garden.
- Herb gardens can be grown using a variety of perennial and annual plants. Many culinary herbs can be grown, too, including parsley, chives, basil, cilantro, oregano, and rosemary.
5. Green Landscaping
Landscaping trends have also included what’s known as ‘green architecture’ in home gardens. This trend focuses on building materials that are environment-friendly and easy to maintain.
- Many of the popular green materials include sustainable materials like bamboo, pea gravel, and other organic materials.
- Green gardening has become quite popular all over the world and will continue to play a major role in the future of landscaping.
Landscaping isn’t just about planning the design and development of spaces but also includes maintaining existing landscapes.
This task includes proper lawn care and maintenance as well as other aspects of landscaping such as fireplaces, driveways, fences, et cetera.
When a homeowner plans to landscape their property, they may be intimidated by all of the various aspects of the job.
However, with proper planning and communication with a professional landscaping company, it’s not impossible to have a beautiful outdoor oasis to relax in after a long day at work.