Table of Contents Show
Outside Fall Decorations: Creating Homemade Fall Lawn Decorations — Fall is a great time to create homemade fall lawn decorations that will make your home stand out from the crowd. By using items that nature supplies along with a collection of pumpkins, flowers and other low-cost items, you can easily have beautiful decorations all the way through Thanksgiving.
Outside Fall Decorations, Creating Homemade Fall Lawn Decorations
The fall season offers lots of opportunities to decorate, and since fall is about celebrating nature’s bounty you don’t need to purchase many items. Here are some great homemade fall lawn decorations that are easy and low cost.
Corn Stalk Focal Pieces
One of the easiest homemade autumn decorations is a clump of corn stalks, which are the yellow, dried husks from the summer corn crops. If you live in a part of the country that grows corn, ask a local farmer if you can collect some. In other areas you can purchase the stalks any place that sells pine straw or pumpkins.
Have an assistant stand the stalks upright while you tie a piece of twine tightly around the center. Place a decorative ribbon in pretty fall colors around the twine to disguise it and tie a large bow in front. Set the stalk next to the front door, or other covered area and position pumpkins, dried corn, a scarecrow and other fall items around the bottom of stalk.
Central Lawn Decorations
When creating autumn decorations, think about a center focal part for the yard. Start with an object like a child’s wagon, a large wagon, or even a simple wagon wheel. Fill the wagon full of pumpkins, potted chrysanthemums and bales of hay until it is completely full.
- Kid-Friendly Gardening Ideas, Make Your Kid Fall in Love With Gardening
- Container Gardening for the Fall Season: Potted Plants Fall Garden Ideas
- Container Gardening Strawberries Potted Plants: How to Grow Strawberries in Pots
- Container Gardening & Front Yard Lanscaping: 5 Tips For Container Gardening
- 10 Container Gardening Tips: Creating a Garden in a Pot
- Bring Your Deck to Life With These DIY Wooden Planter Boxes
Towards the fall window boxes start to look neglected after all the summer flowers die back. So why not make homemade fall decorations for them too. Fill the window box with hay so that it hangs over all sides of the box. Place miniature pumpkins, heirloom squash, pine cones, fall colored leaves and acorns on top of the hay until the box is packed full.
If you want to add a little bit of whimsy, purchase some small scarecrows on sticks from a craft store and insert one at each window. The flowers used in the window boxes should also compliment the potted flowers used in other areas of the yard. In fact, you can put all of your fall plants in pots and window boxes to create a fall container garden.
Transitioning from Halloween to Thanksgiving
Those who decorate for Halloween already have a jump start on Thanksgiving. You can easily reuse pumpkins with painted faces as autumn decorations for Thanksgiving. Simply turn the pumpkins around so that the face is pointed toward a wall or a decorative object such as a wagon.
You can even surround it with more potted chrysanthemums. If you created the corn stalk, start with a ribbon that has a spooky Halloween theme and simply replace it in November with a more refined Thanksgiving themed ribbon.
You can find many of the decorating supplies needed for these projects on a walk through the wood and the remainder can be purchased at a low cost. So if you have a little time and a lot of creativity, your homemade fall lawn decorations will look spectacular all season long.
- LoveToSew.com, Creative Outdoor Decorating for the Fall and Autumn Season: http://www.lovetosew.com/outdoordecoratingforfall.htm
- Front-Porch-Ideas-and-More.com, Our Autumn Porch: https://www.front-porch-ideas-and-more.com/autumn-porch-decorating-contest.html
- HGTV.com, Fall’s Bounty Window Box: http://www.hgtv.com/design/outdoor-design/landscaping-and-hardscaping/falls-bounty-window-box